When it comes to making casserole’s you can never go wrong with Cowboy Casserole, aka Tater Tot Casserole. How could you go wrong with tater tots and cheese, lots and lots of cheese. This has been an all time favorite casserole to make for my family. Furthermore, when I do make this recipe, I always plan to make extra for the next day. Even when it’s warmed up for lunch or even dinner the next night, it’s still good as ever.
The first time I made this I never told my hubby that it consisted of Cream of Mushroom soup. He’s not a big fan of mushroom’s, so I was a little nervous that he would end up not liking this recipe. Once he started digging in, I explained to him what all was in it. I think he was a bit surprised, but other than that he really enjoyed it. Cream of Mushroom soup is one of my favorite soups so I knew that this would go perfect with this recipe. I have seen some of these recipes that ask for cream of mushroom and cream of onion (or something like that). But I’m strictly a cream of mushroom girl when I make this.
Let’s get this good recipe going, shall we! Hope you enjoy as much as my family and I do. 🙂
- 2-3 lbs of ground beef (I have a big family with all boys, always make a lot)
- 1 bag of tater tots – thawed out
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large pot add onion and butter and cook until onions are soft and tender.
- Add ground beef, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat and put back in pot.
- Add the 2 cans of mushroom soup and milk to ground beef. Mix together thoroughly.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, add the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle cheese all over the top of ground beef mixture.
- Add tater tots over top of cheese. Sprinkle with a little more cheese
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted on top and the tater tots are crispy and golden.
Til next time,