I decided to make something new for Thanksgiving, I’ve never been big on baking, just cooking good food. After debating for quit a while I decided to make a easy dessert that the whole family would enjoy, The Best Banana Cake. This is the best cake I’ve had in quite awhile and man was I excited when it all came out yummy as well.
Maybe I’ll start baking more cause I had a good time doing this one. I have made peanut butter cookies before and the usual chocolate cake out of a box, but to make this cake from scratch I loved doing it. So with further more I bring you:
The Best Banana Cake
- 1⅓ cup mashed bananas
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3 - 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest (form 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place 1½ tablespoons lemon juice in a measuring cup. Top to 1½ cups with milk. Set aside.
- Mix together mashed banana with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, set aside.
- Beat together butter, brown and white sugar until combined. Stir in eggs and vanilla until mixed.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to egg mixture stirring just until combined.
- Fold in bananas. Pour into prepared pan.
- Put into the oven and reduce heat to 300 degrees. Bake 60 - 70 minutes (see note below) or just until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not over bake). (If your cake is not cooked through, continue baking until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Cream together butter & cream cheese until fluffy. Add in lemon zest and juice. Add powdered sugar a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
Note: The cooking time on this cake can vary greatly! Mine (along with many readers) takes about 60 minutes. Check your cake at 55 minutes, if it isn't ready, continue cooking until a toothpick comes out clean (this can be up to an additional 20-30 minutes depending on your oven). The result will be a moist and irresistible banana cake.